Curriculum at Serra
“Play is the highest form of research.” Albert Einstein.
At Serra our students are learning to love learning for life.
Walk into our classroom and at first glance you may see the children simply playing. Take a closer look, and you will find them creating, improvising, collaborating and expanding their world. For when children are playing, they are learning.
Whether they are building an elaborate ramp system, discovering the properties of paint and clay, or practicing empathy and emotional control when learning how to work together with other classmates, they are learning.
The Serra curriculum includes both an extensive period of time where kids choose activities from a rich environment, as well as planned activities, such as story and circle time. The teacher gives much thought to the classroom so that children will have the opportunity to experience activities that incorporate language, fine and gross motor, problem solving, creativity and other skills essential for academic success.
Teachers and parents circulate during free choice time and engage them where appropriate to expand learning.
Goals of Serra Preschool
2 Day Class (3 year olds)
A child’s 1st experience in a classroom setting:
- To provide a safe environment where a child can transfer trust and establish relationships with a teacher and other caring adults.
- To introduce routines and the concepts of following directions.
- To introduce cooperative and interactive play; moving from parallel play.
- To introduce tools and equipment to develop skills in fine and gross motor activities: paint brushes, scissors, crayons, markers, puzzles, board games, manipulatives, swings, bikes, sand and water toys
- To provide experiences in literature and music in small and large groups.
- To increase use of oral language in social situations to take care of needs and share ideas and thoughts.
3 Day Class (4 & 5 year olds)
Building upon 2 day goals, including:
- To provide experiences that meets the children’s needs and stimulates their natural curiosity to learn in the areas of social, physical, emotional, and cognitive development.
- To provide a respectful environment within which each child feels safe, accepted, and capable in order to maximize learning and individual self-worth.
- To provide opportunities for increased social and creative interactions that encourage more developed oral language, interactive and cooperative play, and problem solving.
Children who will be 3 years old by Dec. 2 are eligible for enrollment in the 2-day class. Children who will be 4 by Dec. 2 may enroll in the 3-day class. All students must be toilet trained.
While it is true that the majority of 3-day students will be going to kindergarten the following year, preschool is about much more than preparing a child for kindergarten. Preschool is a place where essential life lessons begin to be learned: how to be a friend, how to take care of yourself and your needs, how to be respectful to peers and adults, and the importance of kindness and good manners.
Formal education starts in kindergarten and continues throughout a lifetime of study and cognitive development. Preschool fosters the excitement and joy of learning, and encourages the individual’s responsibility towards their intellectual goals. To this end, Serra Preschool is dedicated to the needs and the appropriate development of each child.